How can it be the last day of 2017? If Facebook is an accurate representation of the masses, there are a lot of us out there, including yours truly, thinking back over the past year and looking forward to what the new year will bring.
Am I the only one that feels a sense of anticipation as January 1 rolls in? I mean, we have an entire 12 months in front of us, 52 weeks with no mistakes, no regrets, and 365 days full of possibility. That makes my heart jump just a bit, and I want to be intentional about how I use every single one of my 525, 600 minutes in 2018.
I don’t make New Year’s resolutions; they don’t work, but I do like to have goals to work towards. So I’ve come up with a list of 18 (you know, since it’s about to be 2018) goals I’d like to work towards in the next year:
- Try a new food or recipe once a month. It’s time to get out of that food rut and be adventurous at meal time!
- Master double unders. At least then I won’t have to jump with a fat rope that weighs a ton.
- Run a 2-hour half marathon. That was a goal for 2017, but injury got in the way. Here’s to making it happen this year!
- Get at least one pull-up. Seriously, I have been working on this forever, but this is the year!
- Send birthday cards to my family. I try, but I have my niece’s birthday card from November still sitting here. 🙁
- Call, text, or email a friend just because I’m thinking of him or her. I think about people all the time; I’m just not good at letting them know. I want to change that.
- Read a book just for fun. When was the last time you read a book for fun? I can’t remember.
- Visit a city I’ve never been to.
- Read some scripture every day. It keeps me grounded.
- Keep my desk cleared off. I’m usually very organized, but the desk always looks like a war zone.
- Host a dinner party for my friends.
- Attend a community group at church regularly. I want to be intentional about connecting with other people. I haven’t done so well at that this past year.
- Coach someone to run their first 5K. You know someone who wants to run a 5K? Seriously, I’d love to help them reach that goal.
- Put my personal training certification to use. This could be a whole post, but…fear can be crippling, and 2018 is my year to overcome it in this area.
- Try a new activity (I have no idea what this could be, but I’ll try to keep an open mind!) I shot a gun at a target over Thanksgiving, something I’d never done, and while I was a miserable shot, it was kind of fun!
- Meditate regularly. It’s not easy for me to just sit quietly, but I’m discovering what a great stress reliever meditation can be.
- Tithe on every paycheck.
- Tell the people close to me that I love them. Something else I don’t do well…
It’s a long list, but I don’t think it’s impossible, and some of these things I do already. I just want to keep on doing them regularly. I’ll check in every 2 or 3 months to see how I’m doing in meeting my goals for 2018. I might even let you in on that evaluation! 🙂
So here’s to 2018! May it be a year full of life and health and finding adventure in all that comes our way.
Talk to me:
New Year’s resolutions or not?
What are you hoping to accomplish in 2018?